Bid Adieu to Sagging skin on your Arm with Brachioplasty
Brachioplasty refers to the treatment of sagging upper arms. Also termed as arm lift surgery, it involves removing unwanted sagging skin from the upper arms that generates due to aging or significant weight loss.
- The procedure thus tightens the skin and ensures a toned body. Here are few points to ponder before undergoing it.
- The treatment will leave behind a scar on the underside of the upper arms, which you can hide easily under the sleeves.
- Get Brachioplasty after any weight loss program as losing weight after procedure could affect the results of the treatment.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF ARM LIFT SURGERIES
Here is a brief description of some prominent arm lift surgery types:
This method is suitable for young patients having good skin elasticity and only mild sagginess. It requires the surgeon to remove fat and at times, excess tissues produced inside the upper arm.
2. Limited Arm Lift Procedure
It suits people having lesser fat in the upper arm but sagging portion near the armpits. The surgeon extracts the unwanted skin near the armpits to tighten the upper arms.
3. Standard Arm Lift Procedure
This method is effective for patients having long and flabby skin, which extends from the armpit to the elbow. The surgeon pulls out fat, tissues and skin from the patient’s upper arm and strengthens the remaining muscles around it, mostly by using sutures.
4. Extended Arm Lift Procedure
You are a good candidate for this type of arm lift surgery if you are noticing a massive weight loss. The surgeon performs the treatment on the upper arms and extends it to the chest to ensure skin tightening.
PREPARING FOR ARM LIFT SURGERY
The surgeon will inspect your body to recommend the best treatment for the removal of unwanted flabby skin. Additionally, he will ask you to follow certain instructions:
- Inform him about any injury or medical problem that happened to your upper arms earlier.
- Quit smoking around 1 to 2 months prior to Brachioplasty.
- Reduce your weight well within the timeline as suggested by the surgeon.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Make necessary preparations at home to rest post surgery.
THE ARM LIFT PROCEDURE
The surgeon will treat the patient at an outpatient day care facility or in an accredited hospital and perform following the procedure as below:
- Makes markings with you standing with arms outstretched to plan the cuts depending on the area of excess fat or skin.
- Gives general anesthesia
- Makes incisions along the arm’s underside based upon his markings done earlier.
- Brings the outer layer of the skin together, tightens and stitches it with sutures.
- The incision size is small for liposuction and limited arm lift surgery.
- For standard arm lift surgery, the incision will be on the underside of the upper arms.
- For extended arm lift surgery, the incisions will extend to the side of the chests.
You will remain under observation within a few hours of treatment. After removing drains and stitches, your upper arm will take some time for swelling to reduce. Once recovery is over your arms would look fine.
ARM LIFT SURGERY AFTERCARE
Precautionary Measures after the surgery
- Wear compression garments to support the upper arm.
- Take rest for around 3 to 5 days.
- Avoid movement of the operated area.
- Know from the hospital staff on how to care for drain tubes at home.
- While sleeping, keep your arms elevated on multiple pillows.
- Avoid strenuous exercises that could affect your arm.
- You may start walking soon to keep the blood circulation intact.
- You may be back to work within a few weeks, but it should not involve any physical strain.
- The swelling on your arms will subside in around a month.
- The new contour will come up eventually.
- The incision scars will fade away in a month.
- The surgery results will last longer if you maintain your body weight
- Visit your surgeon for regular check-ups.
- Contact your surgeon immediately if you feel discomfort in the treated area.
Dr. Sumit Malhotra
THE INFORMATION IS BEING PROVIDED BY COSMETICSURGERY.IN AND HAVE NO INTENTION TO REPLACE THE MEDICAL ADVICE OF YOUR DOCTOR. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR DIRECTLY FOR ADVICE ABOUT A SPECIFIC MEDICAL CONDITION. THIS DOCUMENT WAS LAST REVIEWED BY DR. Sumit Malhotra, PLASTIC SURGEON ON: 12-JUN-2020
- Arm Lift
- Body Contouring
- Body Lift
- Breast Asymmetry Correction
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Removal
- Breast Implant Revision
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Revision Surgery
- Breast Surgery Surgeons
- Brow Lift
- Buccal Fat Removal
- Buttock Enhancement
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chemical Peel
- Chin Surgery
- Dermal Fillers
- Ear Surgery
- Facial Implants
- Fat Transfer
- Hair Transplant
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Lip Augmentation
- Liposuction Laser Ultrasound Assisted
- Male Breast Reduction
- Men And Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover
- Neck Lift
- Non Surgical Fat Reduction
- Non Surgical Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Skin Rejuvenation And Resurfacing
- Spider Vein Treatment
- Tattoo Removal
- Thigh Lift
- Vaginal Rejuvenation