Some people have retruded/ deformed chin because of hereditary issue which changes the structure of their chin. This could have a bad impact on their appearance. For those people, chin augmentation surgery is a perfect treatment that helps to get the desired chin shape. The other names for this procedure are Genioplasty or Mentoplasty. It changes the structure of the chin to look more appropriate with the facial features.
The Chin Surgery helps to correct the position of lower jaw and chin with the help of following methods:
• Move the chin forward or backward
• Change the size or structure of the chin
To complement their other facial structures, some people may need to go through Genioplasty in combination with Rhinoplasty or Forehead Lift Surgery.
Getting Started with the Treatment
The first step is to choose the expert to perform the Chin Surgery. This surgical solution will affect your appearance and outer personality; therefore, you must make the decision of choosing the right doctor after careful consideration.
You should provide full medical history to the concerned surgeon and be upfront about any condition that might create problems with the outcome of the procedure. You should also be very clear about your expectations from the surgery so that the doctor can suggest the best possible solution and also see if there is need for any other procedure to be performed simultaneously.
The specialist will examine your medical records and perform a physical examination to access the situation. He will also take pictures for comparison with the results of treatment.
The type of surgery to be performed will be decided after analysing the situation. The surgeon will decide between chin implants or sliding genioplasty, considering if the chin needs to be lengthened or to be pushed back.
Chin Implants-This procedure is used to lengthen the chin or to push it forward. Under this process, an incision is made inside of the mouth or below the chin. Then, the surgeon will insert an implant made of silicone or teflon which will be fixed with screws/ sutures and finally, he will close the incision with stitches.
Sliding Genioplasty–It is performed for the correction of longer chin. In this method, the expert will make an incision inside the mouth under the lower part of gum of lower teeth and adjust the chin accordingly, by moving it either forward or backward. Once the chin is in place, he will fix it with screws and close the incision.
After performing any of these surgical methods, you will be kept under observation for some time.
• There would be swelling and redness on the operated area for some time. The doctor will prescribe you some antibiotics to prevent from any infection.
• The surgeon often uses compression tapes to help with healing.
• You should consume only soft food items or liquids for a few days after the surgery.
• You strictly need to quit smoking and intake of any medication that might affect the results.
• Make sure that you keep your mouth clean at all times to prevent infections. It is best to clean with mouth wash after every meal.
• Circumvent any stressful activity like exercising, weight lifting or sport for about six months or till the approval of your specialist.
• Also, be very cautious and avoid hitting the chin or falling, until the chin is healed and the operated chin bone has grown back.
• If you feel any discomfort or excessive swelling after the procedure or you feel any liquid coming out from the chin, you must consult with your specialist immediately.
• After 2-3 months when the swelling has gone down, you will be able to notice the desired changes in your chin which will compliment your face structure. To maintain these results for the long term, you must choose the experienced surgeon along with following all the pre-surgical and post-surgical instructions cautiously.
The information is being provided by cosmeticsurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Rajat Gupta, Plastic Surgeon on: 12-JUN-2020