Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure, which helps to enhance the shape or size of your breast as per your choice or according to your body type. This surgery is also famous as ‘boob job’ or ‘augmentation mammoplasty’.
Breast augmentation is a very common cosmetic surgery among women who want to get a more confident appearance. Below are some of the most common reasons to opt for this breast surgery:
• The desire to get bigger and round shaped breasts for enhanced body satisfaction
• To overcome the decrease in the breast size after pregnancy or due to over exercising
• To correct the breasts’ asymmetry, in case both differ in size
One important thing to keep in mind is that breast augmentation does not intend to take care of sagging or dropping of the breast. For any such situation, the surgeon might suggest you to opt for breast lift surgery.
What is the Ideal Age for Breast Augmentation Procedure?
You can go for breast augmentation at any stage of your life; you just need to have a healthy and developed body. In addition, you should fulfill the minimum age requirement i.e. 18 years.
The cost of this surgery varies according to the intensity of the procedure, expertise of the surgeon, location of the clinic, etc. While the cost of implant alone may range between 50,000 to 1 Lakh INR, the surgery could amount to another 100000 INR or more. The charges of treatment and medication before and after the procedure are calculated separately.
The surgeon performs the Breast augmentation procedure two or more ways and at times, in different combinations to get the desired results. It is up to the doctor’s skills and expertise to decide the technique that could give an optimum outcome according to the individual’s requirements. Some of the techniques used for this treatment include as below:
In this procedure, the surgeon inserts an implant into your breast to enhance its shape and size. You can choose from among two substances for implant, i.e. saline or silicone depending upon the kind of result you desire from the procedure.
▪ Saline filled implant
This breast augmentation method requires sterile salt water to fill the implants. The surgery may also use a silicone like structure to hold the shape of the breast better. In this technique, the expert inserts an empty implant into the breast by making a small incision. This implant consists of saline solution according to the requirement. The procedure of saline filled implant leaves only a small scar as compared to inserting a pre-filled implant. At times, the result of this procedure may appear too artificial.
▪ Silicone gel filled implant
This method of breast augmentation allows the cosmetic surgeon to use implants made of a semi-solid gel. It is a safer and efficient surgical technique as compared to the saline filled implant. However, the treatment requires larger incisions due to pre-filled implants.
In this procedure, the surgeon takes out fat from a suitable part of your body using liposuction. These extracted fat cells are transferred to the breast in small portions according to requirement. This method of fat transfer is popular for smaller enhancements.
The doctor will start the entire treatment with the initial phase of consultation followed by physical examination to analyze the requirements and the appropriate procedure. He will also scrutinize all the medical records to avoid any complication.
Smokers must get rid of the smoking habit for a few weeks prior to the treatment to avert complications during the procedure.
To be on the safer side, it is better to consult with your doctor if you are thinking of any type of weight reduction surgery or if you are planning for pregnancy.
Breast augmentation follows a basic procedure.
1. The anaesthetist will give you general anesthesia that will either make you unconscious or numb your breast to make the procedure pain-free.
2. After administering anesthesia, an incision is made under the breast in the crease to insert the implant.
3. Next, the surgeon will close the incision, and use a bandage to hold the breast.
4. After keeping you under observation for a little while, you will be sent home.
1. You must wear a special bra after the procedure for some days.
2. For a few weeks, you should not indulge in any strenuous physical activity like weightlifting, running, etc.
3. You might feel uncomfortable at times, which is completely normal but if the feeling persists for a long time, then it is better to consult your surgeon.
Breast augmentation may accompany considerable if not performed with care.
▪ There might be allergic reactions to anesthesia
▪ There could be a slight chance of infection.
▪ The surgery if not performed with care and expertise might affect the nerves present in the breast.
▪ This in turn might create further problems, especially in breast-feeding.
▪ If you do not get satisfactory results, then probably the surgeon lags behind in expertise, or your body does not support the change.
Therefore, a proper consultation regarding all the issues involved is very important. This will have to avoid any discomfort or unsatisfactory feeling and will increase the chances of the desired outcome.
The information is being provided by CosmeticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Priti Shukla, Plastic Surgeon on: 12-JUN-2020