Mastopexy is a breast lift surgery to give sagging or ageing breast, a youthful transformation. It is different from breast augmentation, as its purpose is to lift the breast to give it correct shape. The change in the shape of the breasts and the regained symmetry helps the women to be more confident about their outer appearance.
Women who have low confidence in their body because of baggy breast can opt for a breast lift surgery. A woman needs to consult a good plastic surgeon to see if she can undergo this surgery.
The surgeon will check the eligibility after physical examination and analysing the complete medical history of the candidate.
Women often opt for Mastopexy to transform their sagging breast because of:
• Extreme weight loss or weight gain
• One breast sags more than the other
Breast augmentation/reduction and breast lift surgery may sound same but both have different purpose. Mostly, surgeons use both the procedures simultaneously according to the patient’s requirements.
Breast augmentation or breast reduction surgery changes (increases or decreases) the size of breast where as in breast lift surgery, the breast is repositioned by removing the excess skin, lifting the nipples up and contracting the breast tissues. Moreover, the procedure of Mastopexy has no effect on breastfeeding.
The candidate should remain physically and mentally prepared for the surgery. The concerned woman has to be upfront to the surgeon about her expectations from the surgery and her medical history that could affect the outcome. Next, she has to go through a physical examination to make sure the surgery will not have any complication or major side effect. She should quit smoking or any medication two weeks before the surgery.
• The patient will then undergo mammogram to mark the changes in the tissues before and after the surgery if she is above age 40.
• The surgery will be performed in the clinic or hospital and it generally takes about 3 to 4 hours.
• The plastic surgeon will map out the changes to be made to the breast, on the patient’s body.
• The expert will proceed by making an incision around the nipple or near the breast crease.
• The excess tissues will be removed followed by nipples repositioning a little higher. The doctor will stitch the incisions and wrap a bandage around the breast.
• The surgeon may also put drain tubes to drain out discharge from the breast, which will be removed in 1-2 days
• After making sure everything is fine, the patient will be discharged same day or next day from hospital.
The initial period after the surgery might be a little uncomfortable. The breast will appear red or swollen for first 2 weeks. The stitches will be removed after 1-week . commonly stitches are self absorbable. and the patient will need a good rest to recover efficiently. Breast support bra is advised during healing period .
Such surgical procedures normally require 4 – 6 weeks of recovery period. The woman can return to her normal lifestyle but she has to be very careful. Any kind of stressful physical activity is better to circumvent, such as jumping or bending down.
It is advisable to sleep on the back rather than sleeping on the sides to avoid any complication. Equally important is to wear a special bra for the recovery period. After 2-3 months of the surgery, the candidate will be able to notice a significant change in her breasts.
Therefore, the breast lift surgery can help a woman to raise her self-confidence without having any major side-effects. The patient should however be an eligible candidate for the treatment. Likewise, the surgeon should be skilled and experienced in achieving the best possible results.
The information is being provided by CosmeticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Priti Shukla, Plastic Surgeon on: 12-JUN-2020