Do you want to remove excess skin resulting from rigorous weight loss regime or bariatric surgery? If yes, then body contouring can be of much help. The treatment restores your body contours to tighten your body parts and improve your aesthetic appearance.
• Before going for body contouring, several important pointers and risk factors are important to consider.
You should opt for the surgery only after completing your weight loss program. Else, you may regain those sagging tissues and fat folds after further loss of weight.
• If you are under 30 and want to get away only with your body fat, then liposuction is always the best surgery. Having a perfectly toned and elastic skin would result in adequate tightening of skin not needing skin removal.
• In case of poor skin elasticity, the surgeon would suggest a combination of weight reduction surgery and body contouring.
• Quit smoking at least around two months prior to undergoing body contouring.
• Body contouring will leave behind scars, but these are easy to hide.
• The treatment may give way to certain side effects like numbness, bleeding, blood clots, infections, skin loss, scars, etc. Most of these are temporary and resolve with medical management.
• Approach an experienced Surgeon.
• Consult the patients who have already undergone Body Contouring.
• Give details about your medical history, surgeries and allergies to the surgeon.
• The surgeon will examine your body and give necessary instructions to prepare for the surgery accordingly.
• You should have realistic expectations.
• Avoid anti-inflammatory medicines, specific supplements and vitamins.
• Be prepared at home for recovery. Ask your surgeon about it.
On the day for Body contouring, the surgeon will click your before and after surgery photos for record. Be frank and clear all your treatment related confusions with the surgeon.
The surgeon carries out the body contouring surgery at an outpatient in an accredited hospital or in a day care facility. To start with, he will give general or local anesthesia (spinal or epidural), depending on the requirement.
Body Lift Procedures
There are various procedures which may be suggested to you based on your needs.
Lower Body Lift
This procedure reduces sagging skin around the hip buttock and requires the surgeon to make a cut at the hips for lower body lift. The removal of additional tissues, skin and fat from the flabby areas of hips, thighs, abdomen follows.
This specific treatment removes unwanted fat and skin from the abdominal area. The surgeon creates an incision at the lower abdomen region along the bikini line to perform this treatment.
This procedure deals with lifting the sagging breasts and relocating the nipples to a higher position. This is also called Mastopexy.
In this treatment, the surgeon will create an incision in the inner thighs to eliminate additional fat and skin in that area.
The surgeon will make an incision along the top of the buttock or on the sides to cut fat and skin from the buttocks.
This method aims at correcting the sagging skin on the upper arms. The surgeon creates an incision close to the armpits and on the inner side of the arms.
The surgeon eliminates the loose skin and wrinkles from chin, cheeks and other facial areas through this body contouring surgery.
You will remain under observation after the surgery completes. The surgeon may place tubes in the treated area and cover them with bandages.
In case of discomfort, bleeding or swelling, prompt medical intervention is important.
• Stay at home for about a week after the treatment, though it doesn’t mean bedrest.
• Avoid doing heavy physical activities for around one month.
• It is better to put on loose clothes to protect the stitches from undergoing wear and tear.
• Take shower only after the surgeon allows it.
• Wear compression garments for about 2 months to avoid quick skin expansion.
• Avoid swimming or body massage for around the first 4 to 6 weeks.
The surgeon will keep you on antibiotics for a few days and painkillers for an initial few weeks to help subside the effect of bruising, swelling and discomfort.
The effect of body contouring will start reflecting within 2 to 3 months.
To retain the surgery results for long, make sure to maintain a healthy diet and do regular workouts. Be fit and avoid a fluctuating body weight.
Sometimes you may need additional touch-up surgery if you lose more weight or some skin fold or fat area develops. Your surgeon will tell you to wait long enough before recommending these. Sometimes due to good results in treated areas you may wish to have more procedures for other areas, these too should be done after adequate recovery from the first one as per your surgeon’s advice.
The information is being provided by CosmeticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Sumit Malhotra, Plastic Surgeon on: 12-JUN-2020